Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cuban Black Beans & Rice

Preface:

Well, as much as I tried to avoid it, I began my gluten-free experiment today. I have been having GI issues, even despite giving up dairy (lactose-intolerance), and my doctor recommended the elimination diet. Those of you who have heard of the elimination diet are familiar with how extreme it is. I had little faith in myself, so I devised a plan.
First, I cut all the easy things -- coffee and alcohol. I spent a few weeks pretending like this counted as the elimination diet. Unfortunately, my GI issues persisted, and I was back to square one. Next, I gave up red meat, hot sauce and spicy foods (which was REALLY hard for me!) I love Tapatio. I would put it on everything if it were socially acceptable. However, my belly still wasn't happy. So, the last two weeks or so, I have indulged. I've eat all the things I'm not supposed to, and here's why -- I'm preparing to give up the hardest one of all... GLUTEN.
One big element of the elimination diet is giving up gluten. I exhausted all other options first, but I've finally arrived. To mark the end of my denial, we enjoyed a great big helping of Chicken Bacon Ranch Bowtie Pasta (in white sauce, mind you) for dinner last night. It was amazing.
So, today I began what I am calling my "Gluten-free Experiment". I will go two weeks completely free of gluten. Hard core. Honest to God. Gluten free. If it makes me feel better, I'll continue after two weeks. If not, it's back to the doctor for another round of Q&A.
I know giving up gluten has gotten pretty popular over the last couple years, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to survive. I love bagels and Kashi Go Lean! Crunch cereal. I am a huge fan of baking and brownies and cookies and muffins. Pasta -- well, who doesn't like pasta?! Sandwiches are a staple lunch for a busy mom, and Togo's is my FAVORITE sub shop.
BUT -- in the name of my health, and avoiding medications, I'm doing what's best and I'm going to document the meals as best I can.
So, here is night number one:

Cuban Black Beans & Rice

Ingredients: 
1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cans black beans, rinsed (30oz total)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Cook the rice like you normally would!
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. 
3. Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minutes.
4. Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water. Simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Add the vinegar.
6. Smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.
7. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro and radishes.
We stirred ours all up! My husband kept saying it tasted like Cafe Yumm. I'm not quite sure about that (I love Yumm sauce!) but it certainly was good! And gluten-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment