Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Curried Rice with Shrimp

Curried Rice with Shrimp

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, choppy
2 tsp curry powder
1 cup long-grain brown rice (or white, just use 1/2 c less water & simmer less time!)
salt & pepper
1lb peeled, deveined shrimp
1/2 cup fresh basil (eek! I skipped this and tossed in a tsp of dried basil. If you can use fresh basil DO IT)

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large skilled over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly soft. Don't worry if they're not totally soft. They'll have plenty of opportunity to finish cooking.
3. Add the garlic and curry power and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently!
4. Add the rice, 3 cups water (if using white rice, use 2 1/2 cups water) and 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (more like 15 minutes for white rice). This time will vary! My recipe said it would take 12-15 minutes, but it took more like 35 minutes. Just check your rice after 20 minutes and continue to check on it until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
6. Season your shrimp with salt & pepper and stir them into your cooked rice.
7. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque, about 4-5 minutes.
8. Fold in the basil (or add the dried basil).
9. Enjoy! I added some salt & pepper again, as well as a dash of hot sauce.

The leftovers!
I'm so embarrassed -- I forgot to take a photo! My mom was over, and I was so distracted that I just served it up and ate it up. I did snap a photo while I was putting away the leftovers, so it'll have to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment